The Basin Reserve Masterplan was endorsed by the Council in April 2015 as a blueprint for redeveloping the ground. Below is a summary of the works currently underway. For a full understanding of the ongoing design process, please visit the Wellington Council’s website dedicated to the redevelopment here.
Built in the 1880s, the Groundsman’s Cottage is the oldest structure on the Basin Reserve site. Over the years, the building has been moved to different locations around the ground, with a number of changes made to the outside and inside of the building. In recent times, it was used to house the ground keepers and their equipment.
By 2013, the cottage was in a bad condition and presented a serious health and safety risk to ground keeping staff. As part of the Masterplan, the Council agreed to refurbish the cottage while also creating ground keeping facilities that were fit-for-purpose. This included:
In October 2015, the Les Armstrong Ground Keepers Cottage was opened by Mayor Celia-Wade Brown.
Built in 1924, the Museum Stand is registered as a Category 2 historic place as part of the Basin Reserve historic area. Originally used as the members stand and player changing area, following the upgrade of the Basin Reserve in the 1970s the Museum Stand was used to give more public seating and toilet facilities.
Originally built in 1925 for 16,710 pounds, it became the focal point for major sporting events at the Basin. When the RA Vance Stand was opened in 1981 it took a back seat, then was declared an earthquake risk in 2012 with the roof the major area of concern.
A heritage listed building, it was saved from demolition and then-mayor Justin Lester confirmed a $7.76 million restoration and strengthening project in May 2018 to bring it up to building code, from the $24 million council invested in the Basin over 10 years.
The project involved removing steel, re-cladding and internally strengthening the walls. New concrete was laid over the top of the previous structures to prolong the lifespan of the building to a minimum of 50 years.
Built in the late 1970s, the RA Vance Stand was a key project in a major makeover of the Basin Reserve, which included constructing the embankment areas, turning the field into an oval, and moving the cricket block to its current position.
The RA Vance Stand and Players Pavilion houses spectator, player and umpire facilities (changing rooms, practice facilities and viewing areas), media facilities and corporate hosting spaces, all of which are needed for the Basin Reserve to keep its status as a compliant test cricket venue by International Cricket Council ICC) standards.
In December 2017 the Council completed the project to address significant maintenance issues in the RA Vance Stand. This work was critical to keeping the Basin Reserve as a world-class test cricket venue.
The works firstly involved a refurbishment of the entire exterior of the stand, including replacing the roof and soffits. The next step was the interior and this significant Wellington landmark was ready right on time for the December 1 test match against the West Indies and is all set to last for at least another 50 years.